RECORDS, FIND AND CONNECT
The Records, Find and Connect team can assist Forgotten Australians to meet relatives from their birth family whom they have never met or whom they have not seen since childhood.
If you are seeking to contact family members you may wish to speak to a Records, Find & Connect Worker about:
- Who are you going to meet?
- What are your expectations for the reunion?
- Do you require support at or after the reunion?
- Have you thought about how your family member/s will react to the reunion?
Assistance for undertaking reunion activities
- Financial assistance may be available to contribute to the costs of the Forgotten Australian undertaking a reunion. Applicants need to provide confirmation of their time in ‘care’ in Victoria.
- Inquiries relating to financial assistance are to be made to the Records, Find & Connect team.
- Approval must be obtained in writing before travel expenses are incurred.
- At least four weeks notice is required before the proposed travel date.
- Assistance may include the use of travel by train, bus or plane. Consideration will be given to contributing to two nights accommodation.
- This assistance applies only to Forgotten Australians in ‘care’ in Victoria.
- Assistance is only available to the travel costs of the Forgotten Australian not to family members.
- Assistance is only available for travel within Australia.
In exceptional circumstances, such as where the Forgotten Australian is unable to travel at all (eg: serious illness) or where the Forgotten Australian is unable to travel alone, consideration may be given to providing funding for a family member to travel to visit the Forgotten Australian, or to enable a carer to accompany the applicant. A doctor’s certificate will be required for these applications.